Minutes – Monday May 15

           Modern Language Teachers Association of South Australia
GPO Box 622

           Adelaide SA 5001

           ABN: 946 37 674 524

MLTASA committee meeting    No.2 2017

Monday May 15 2017, 5.30 – 7.00 pm

    Open Access College, Marden Road, Marden

Chair: Andrew Scrimgeour      Minutes: Miriam Parsons

Present: Andrew Scrimgeour, Joe van Dalen, Annie Beach, Cathy Elliott, Helen Manning-Bennett, Craig Bowyer, Lynn Davis, Miriam Parsons

Apologies: Weifeng Mao , Mirella Wyra, Isobel Feng, Ulrike Glinzner, Sharon Mann, Phil Wilson

1.     Andrew welcomed members to the meeting. Minutes of last meeting accepted by Lynn Davis, seconded Joe van Dalen

2.Business arising from prior minutes

2.1 We still have no MLTASA representative for CEASA

2.2 Government House reception for CEASA member representatives – Lynn Davis and Isobel Feng will attend on behalf of MLTASA

2.3 Subcommittee for website formation (see Item 7)

2.4 Connections with language specific associations (see Item 8)

2.5 Promotion of support to attend AFMLTA conference (see Item 5)

2.6 Representative for national assembly (see Item 6)

3.     Office bearer updates 

3.1     President’s Report (Andrew Scrimgeour)

Cultural Infusion – Organisation would like to be corporate members.

Action: Joe van Dalen to respond to Cultural Infusion

MELC –  letter received from MELC advising of development of a positioning statement for languages and multicultural education. Andrew informed the group of MELC’s role in providing advice to the Minister on Languages education, multicultural education and internationalising of education. Invitation to participate in forum on Thursday 18 May.

Action: Andrew will attend MELC forum and distribute briefing paper to committee.

Lake Wangary – funding support letter request. Joe endorsed letter on behalf of Andrew.

German conference – invitation to attend – Andrew unable to attend.

Action: Lynn will represent MLTASA at the opening of the German conference.

DECD Languages – Andrew met with Jodie Edwards at DECD and had a positive conversation. DECD would like MLTASA to host a forum to launch the languages strategy. (see Item 9.1)

Invitation from Sonia Chiappin-Scalzi at Loreto College to attend their Careers Carousel on 21 June Action: Andrew will attend Loreto College Careers Carousel

3.2.     Treasurer (Helen Manning-Bennett)

People are paying fees. INTAN have not paid. Current balance in the association account $11 601.67

Action: Joe will send out a reminder to past members reminding them to join by end of May before census date.

3.3.   Membership Secretary (Joe van Dalen)

There are currently 39 individual members and 4 school memberships (incorporating 84 teachers from OAC, Cabra, Adelaide HS, Unley HS)

Discussion was held about how to contact independent schools. Strategy for distribution needed with access to a broader audience. DECD and Catholic Education Office have departmental contacts.

Action: Joe will talk to AISSA office to find out if there is way to contact languages heads in independent schools.

4. Joe Dale PD Plan Term 2 

Date: Saturday 1st July

The proposal for MLTASA to offer a digital technologies professional learning opportunity was positively received by members and a day of PD has therefore been negotiated with Joe Dale. Cost will be $1500 with accommodation for Joe provided by MLTASA. OAC have offered to support the event by providing venue free of cost. A suggested program was tabled and agreed to. The day will be split into morning and afternoon sessions so that members can attend a half or full day. Maximum 30 in a workshop. Tea and coffee provided by MLTASA, participants to BYO lunch or walk to shops. Cost: Half day – $40 members, $60 non-members, Full day – $80 members, $120 non-members

Action: Joe to develop flyer for MLTASA professional learning supported by OAC and send out to members

5. Applications for scholarships to AFMLTA 2017 

Five applications were received and endorsed by the committee. Scholarships will be provided to:

Rachel Lawson – Spanish teacher – Waikerie PS and HS

Hanaa Zebian – Arabic and French teacher – works for SACE, not currently in a school

Annamaria Cavuoto – Italian teacher – Stradbroke PS

Kathy Purvis – Chinese and German teacher – language teacher educator at Adelaide Uni

Parky Anderson – Korean and Spanish teacher – School of Languages (received in 2015)

Action: Andrew to advise successful applicants of scholarships for AFMLTA conference

6. AFMLTA update; census, assembly, Babel, other 

Andrew reported that the national assembly will proceed the AFMLTA conference on the Gold Coast in July and its agenda is in development.

Census date is 30 May, data from each state will be collected.

Babel 51:2 is with the publisher and will come out within 4-6 weeks. Edition 51:3 will go to publisher tomorrow.

Action: Discussion about distribution of Babel and numbers of copies for school members to be added to next meeting agenda

7. Website update    

Revision of website required.

Action: Members to look at website and feed information back to Craig about what can be deleted. Website to be added to next meeting agenda.

8.  Reports from representatives 

Action: Representation of specific languages to be discussed next meeting

9.  Any other business 

9.1 Future PD – Learning through language

Proposal from Belinda – CLIL and TPRS. Will require presenters, planning. Agreed that we consider this post strategy and positioning paper launch.

9.2 MLTASA Objectives and procedures

Suggestion from Annie that we look at this with the website

Action: Add MLTASA objectives and procedures to next agenda

9.3 AADES (Distance Ed) conference 17 & 18 August to be hosted by OAC with a dedicated languages strand. Open to all languages teachers and leaders.

Action: Miriam to email details to Craig for posting on website

9.4 CEASA meeting 24 May

Action: Lynn to forward email to members to see if anyone can attend CEASA meeting on 24 May

Meeting closed 7pm

Next meeting: Monday 7 August 2017 (Week 3, Term 3) at 5:30pm at Open Access College